Saturday 26 March 2011

The Ideal Constitution

My ideal constitution would have two elected chambers. I think they should be elected using different systems. If there is a proportionally elected Lords, I see no reason why the Commons should also be proportional. We can keep the valuable constituency link in the Commons and have accurate representation of the peoples' views in the Lords. Therefore AV would not be, as many think, a stepping stone, but an and in itself as if we had a proportional Lords, no further Commons reform will be necessary.

I have long argued for this form of constitution, but didn't believe it would ever come about. However, in a couple of years we are almost certain to have it. Whether or not the AV referendum is won, it is in the coalition agreement that there will be a proportionally elected Lords by the end of this Parliament. So in a weird way, my ideal constitution that I never thought would happen is almost certain to come about very soon, which makes me  happy.

Yes, I know.

I'm a loser.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say it's almost certain to happen, look what happened to Labour's attempt at Lords reform...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Labour could have done it if they had wanted to.

    ReplyDelete